It was Sunday. I never get up early on Sundays. I sometimes stay in bed until lunch time. Last Sunday I got up very late. I looked out of the window. It was dark outside. “What a day!” I thought. “It’s raining again”. Just then, the telephone rang. It was my aunt Lucy. “I’ve just arrived by train.” She said, “I’m coming to see you“.
“But I’m still having breakfast,” I said.
“What are you doing?” she asked.
“I’m having breakfast,” I repeated.
“Dear me,” she said. “Do you always get up so late? It’s one o’clock!”
Sunday, never, get up, early, sometimes, stay, until, last, late, window, outside, dark, thought – think, just, then, rang, aunt, arrive, by train, still, repeated, always.
- Write out these two paragraphs again. Give the right form of the words in brackets:
- I am looking out of my window. I can see some children in the street. The children (play) football. They always (play) football in the street. Now a little boy (kick) the ball. Another boy (run) after him but he cannot catch him.
- I carried my bags into the hall.
“What you (do)?” my landlady asked.
“I (leave), Mrs Lynch,” I answered.
“Why you (leave)?” she asked. “You have been here only a week”.
“A week too long, Mrs Lynch,” I said. “There are too many rules in this house. My friends never (come) to visit me. Dinner is always at seven o’clock, so I frequently (go) to bed hungry. You don’t like noise, so I rarely (listen) to the radio. The heating doesn’t work, so I always (feel) cold. This is a terrible place for a man like me. Goodbye, Mrs Lynch.”
- Note the position of the words in italics in these sentences :
My friends never come to visit me.
I frequently go to bed hungry.
I rarely listen to the radio.
I always feel cold.
I never get up early on Sundays.
I sometimes stay in bad until lunch time.
- Write this sentences again. Put the words in brackets in the right places.
1.She answers my letters (rarely)
2.We work after 6 o’clock. (never)
3.The shops close on Saturday afternoons. (always)
4.Do you go to work by car?(always)
5.Our teacher collects our copybooks.(frequently)
6.We spend our holidays abroad.(sometimes)
7.I buy gramophone records (often)
8.Do you buy gramophone records (ever)?
- Write these sentences again. Each sentence must begin with What.
- This is a wonderful garden!
- This is a surprise!
- He is causing a lot of trouble!
- They are wonderful actors!
- She is a hard-working woman!
- It is a tall building!
- It’s a terrible film!
- You are clever boy!
- She is a pretty girl!
- He is a strange fellow!